Saturday, February 18, 2023

20 miles hike on AT in southern Pennsylvania










 

I joined a meetup group to hike from Pen Mar, Maryland to Buzzard Peak in Pennsylvania along the Appalachian Trail for 20 miles with 4000 feet elevation gain. I barely slept the night before, it was hard to get up 4:30 am for carpool, and the started the hike in 21f feel like 14 f with wind around 7:20 am and finished by 3:00 pm.
The weather then warmed up to 40 f on the way back, so it got hot to hike in my insulated pants. Nevertheless, the hike was easier the roller coaster section in Virginia (20 miles with 6000 feet elevation gain), and with nicer facilities such bridges, shelters, signs, etc.
This was the 2nd time I visited Pen Mar. I was there last time in 2018 to take the MAHG 41-mile cross Maryland AT day hike.

No comments: