Monday, September 05, 2022

AT hike with paw paw sighting















 I hiked with friends this morning for 12.5 miles with 2200 feet elevation gain out-and-back on the Appalachian Trail south of the Manassas Gap trail up to High Point. The weather was cool and pleasant. We had a snack break at the Jim and Nancy Dent Shelter (with hot water shower), and enjoyed watermelon and drinks offered by kind Steve at the end of hike. 


I did not spot any wild mushrooms yet saw and smelled a ripen paw paw (very fruity).  I tasted one before but not as fruity as the ripen one I found today. 


We tried but couldn’t shake down any paw paws from the trees, and I forgot to take a photo of the ripen one. However, I found one photo for you online.


To make myself feel productive, I asked my neighbor for permission to pick up pears from his tree. I stood on a chair and used my hiking poles to knock down several peers and made them into yummy and healthy smoothies (banana, pear, kale, yogurt and soy milk).

No comments: